Friday, July 29, 2011

Columbo Does a Cameo on CBS Radio Mystery Theater

My favorite picture;
"I know he did it, I just
don't know how."
No kidding. If you're a Columbo fan,  you owe it to yourself to listen to this all the way through. The episode is "Honeymoon with Death"; according to EG Marshall's intro, it's written by George Lowther, whom I think may be this George Lowther➚, who had a long career in radio. He died in 1975, so the dates overlap. I looked for a connection (as perhaps writer or assistant director, etc) but IMdB doesn't list Columbo in his credits.

Columbo was first broadcast in 1971. It's almost certain George Lowther had Peter Falk in mind when writing this episode. Unfortunately for those who are "seeing" Columbo in the role, the mannerisms of Tony Roberts[1], who portrays an eager beat cop who wants to make detective someday, are distracting; many familiar Columbo-isms are there - apologies for intruding, repeat visits to just wrap up lose ends, "just one more thing" (though in different words), the "how you did it" confrontation with the killer (I won't tell you how it ends).


Click here to Listen to "Honeymoon with Death," from CBS Radio Mystery Theater, January 11, 1974➚ (Note: the first 20 minutes have some audio issues; it improves.)


[1] Probably this Tony Roberts, David Anthony "Tony" Roberts➚ , whom I only now recognize as a wonderful actor from the 1970s. I always thought he looked like James Caan. OTR has led me down another delightful rabbit hole and matched a name with a face. "Honeymoon with Death" also starred Louis Nettleton in the role of the stalked heroine. Neither Tony Roberts nor Lois Nettleton had any connection to Columbo that I can find. Neither does director Hyman Brown, who had a few forays into early TV but was much more at home in radio. Learn more about the extraordinary Hyman Brown (aka Hi Brown and Himan Brown) here➚.

No comments:

Post a Comment