Thursday, July 7, 2011

Distance Lends Enchantment to the View

I wrote recently that some places are nice to DX but you wouldn't want to visit because it would dull the charm.

I feel the same way about radio personalities. I really don't want to know what they look like, I'd rather invent that myself, and I fear knowing too much about their personal lives, preferring instead to know them by what they create behind the microphone.

I'd very much like to read Walter Tetley's biography  (http://www.amazon.com/Walter-Tetley-Corns-Ben-Ohmart/dp/1593930003/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309947810&sr=1-1) I like his voice and the image he conjured on the "Phil Harris and Alice Faye Show" (the Thanksgiving episode is priceless and one of the best in my opinion; I know I have it but must not have filed it with other Thanksgiving shows, because I can't find it; I will look for it). I understand Tetley's story is tragic and I'd prefer not to know it just yet; maybe someday.


When I was a boy there were all sorts of tell-all bios about famous people. One I never want to read is Bing Crosby's, written by his son Gary Crosby

http://www.amazon.com/Going-Own-Way-Gary-Crosby/dp/0449205444/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top ).

Of course I knew Bing Crosby from the movies, not radio, so I had a face to put with the voice. The bio was written after Bing's death. Bing died just before Christmas when I was young, and I remember feeling a loss, missing something special, as White Christmas, the song and the movie, were inextricably linked with my childhood celebration of the season. Bing is still a meaningful part of my Christmas to this day, despite Gary Crosby's catharsis (and the annual complaints that 'White Christmas' is overplayed).

Let them eat fruitcake.

No comments:

Post a Comment